Menstrual cup size guide
Welcome to our Menstrual Cup Sizes Guide!
Choosing the right menstrual cup size is crucial for a comfortable and leak-free experience.
We offer three cup sizes: Small (S), Medium (M), and Large (L). To help you determine the best size for you, consider the following factors:
- Small (S): Ideal for light to medium flow days.
- Medium (M): Suitable for medium flow days.
- Large (L): Designed for heavy flow days.
- Small (S): Recommended for users 18 years old and under.
- Medium (M): Recommended for users aged 19-30.
- Large (L): Recommended for users aged 31 and above.
Pre-Birth and Post-Birth:
- Small (S): Suitable for users who have not given birth.
- Medium (M): Suitable for users who have given birth or have a medium cervix height.
- Large (L): Suitable for users who have given birth or have a medium cervix.
Remember, these are general guidelines, and individual preferences may vary. It's essential to consider your unique menstrual flow, age, and birthing experience when selecting the right cup size.
If you're still unsure about which size to choose, don't worry! Our friendly customer support team is here to assist you. Feel free to reach out for personalized recommendations and guidance.
What are the indicators that confirm the correct size of a menstrual cup for a woman?
Determining if the size of a menstrual cup is correct for a woman involves considering several factors and indicators. Here are some key aspects to consider:
Comfort: A properly sized menstrual cup should feel comfortable when inserted and worn. It should not cause any pain, discomfort, or pressure in the vaginal area. Most women can wear any size of a cup and feel comfortable.
Fit: The cup should create a secure seal against the vaginal walls, preventing leaks. It should unfold easily and stay in place during movement.
Capacity: The cup should be able to accommodate your menstrual flow without overflowing or needing frequent emptying. If you find yourself emptying the cup too frequently or experiencing leaks, you may need a larger size. Both M and L GENIAL cups can be used by every woman. Hovewer, if your menstruation is very heavy, it is better to choose a menstrual cup with a larger capacity.
Easy Removal: The cup should be easy to remove without any excessive suction or discomfort. If you struggle to remove the cup or feel it's too tight, a smaller size might be more suitable.
Cervix Height: Consider your cervix height as it can affect the ideal cup size. If you have a low cervix, a shorter cup might be more comfortable, while a higher cervix may require a longer cup for proper placement.
It's important to remember that every woman's anatomy is unique, and what works for one person may not work for another. It may take some trial and error to find the perfect fit.
Here are some other tips to help you choose the right cup size:
- Measure the length of your vagina by inserting your index finger. Our cups are about 66mm tall (of which 12mm is stem length, which can be shortened), about the length of your index finger, or just above the second joint if the stem was cut. So if you feel the cervix when you insert your finger up to the joint of the second finger, our cup will be too big for you. You should look for a manufacturer that makes short menstrual cups. And if your vaginal canal is much longer than the height of the GENIAL DAY® cup - look for an even longer menstrual cup. The most accurate way to measure the length of the vagina is during menstruation, because at that time the cervix is at its lowest position.
- How old are you? If you're under 30 and haven't given birth yet, you should probably choose an M cup. The tone of the pelvic organs of a young woman is stronger - the vaginal muscles are stiffer and more elastic, so if you choose the L size, you can feel menstrual cup.
- Have you given birth? After childbirth, the pelvic bones and vaginal muscles change due to hormonal changes and childbirth. Often after childbirth, the vaginal muscles are not as tight and elastic. The more births, the more the muscles lose their strength. If you've had multiple births and don't exercise, an L menstrual cup may be a better fit for you.
- What body composition are you? We have noticed that women with a very petite composition feel better with M or S cup size.
- Are you active in sports? If you are active in sports, especially if you do pelvic floor exercises, your vagina can also be tighter regardless of age, even if you have given birth, so we advise you to choose a cup size M or S.
- Are your periods heavy? If you have heavy periods, choosing a smaller cup will require you to empty it more often, so if you think that any cup size is suitable for your composition and pelvic muscle tone, choose a larger one, you will have to empty it less often.
- Is your bladder sensitive? It is better to choose a smaller cup because it puts pressure on the vaginal walls and you may want to urinate more often. Although women with these problems notice that the GENIAL cup puts less pressure on the walls because it is softer than silicone cups.
- If you are under 18 and have never had sex, inserting a menstrual cup can be painful and damage the hymen, but if you do decide to use a cup, start with a size S.
- If a girl who has not had sex uses tampons, she can also use a menstrual cup, but she should choose the smallest cup size.
- If the pelvic muscles are very weak after childbirth, it is possible that even a LARGE cup may slide out while wearing it. In this case, you should do pelvic floor strengthening exercises.
- If the uterus and vaginal wall have sagged after childbirth, the cup may not fit you, you will feel uncomfortable with it, it may not hold.
Here are some testimonials about cup sizes from women who have already tried the GENIAL cup:
"I am 43 years old, I have given birth twice, I am 172 cm tall, and I weigh about 60 kg. In the first few days, my period is very heavy, so I use a LARGE cup and have to empty it 3-4 times, on days when my period is light, I use a MEDIUM cup and only empty it in the morning and evening."
"I am very petite, I weigh only 45 kg, I have not given birth. I am 36 years old, I chose a MEDIUM cup size and I am satisfied."